Monday, October 02, 2006

The Many and The Few

"But all these things are merely the beginning of birth pangs. Then they will deliver you to tribulation, and will kill you, and you will be hated by all nations because of My name. At that time many will fall away and will betray one another and hate one another. Many false prophets will arise and will mislead many. Because lawlessness is increased, most people's love will grow cold. But the one who endures to the end, he will be saved." Matthew 24:8-13

Since the time of the apostle until now there have been false teachers of false doctrine. There have been false converters claiming to know and follow Christ, only to fall away when trails came. This will continue and also increase as the time of Christ return approaches. Today we have many false prophets still leading people astray.

Living it what is called the Bible Belt of America brings in own special set of problems. There are so many different flavors of what is called Christianity that the lines have been badly obscured of what it means to follow Christ. In the South it is much a part of the culture, not unlike a religious social club. Going to church is what people do on Sunday's here. The church buildings are much more of a competing corporation than a light to a lost and dying world. One pits itself against another trying to lure in new members with marketing programs that would work as well for Wal-Mart.

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires, 2 Timothy 4:3

This type of philosophy of building the church has resulted in many false converters. People that are trusting in religion, church membership, a prayer, baptism...many different things other than in the finished work of Christ. People have found it easy to have a little religion mixed in with there lives. They are still very much a part of the world yet claim to follow Christ. Preachers don't often use the "r" and "s" words, repentance and sin. People are called to make a decision for Christ as if He is something you can just add to your life. The gospel is changed into simply give your heart to Jesus without ever calling for the death of the flesh.

Let us speak the whole counsel of God. God is love, but He is also wrath. He offers grace and mercy, but He will dispense judgment and punishment. Many today will not endure the truth of God's word. They are not interested in devoting their entire soul, mind and strength to God, but would rather be told how God can serve them. They are like the people of Israel that God spoke to through Isaiah 58 (it would be good for each one to go back and read this entire chapter). They had a religiousness on the outside, but their only goal was to have God do their bidding, only as long as He stayed out of their day to day business.

Cry loudly, do not hold back; Raise your voice like a trumpet, And declare to My people their transgression And to the house of Jacob their sins. Yet they seek Me day by day and delight to know My ways, As a nation that has done righteousness And has not forsaken the ordinance of their God They ask Me for just decisions, They delight in the nearness of God. Isaiah 58:1-2

For the believer there is a warning here in Matthew 24. Notice in verse 12 and 13, "THE MANY or MOST" grow cold in their love toward God. Sin in the life of the believer will always douse their love for God. There is no place for the love of the fleeting pleasures of this world in the life of one who claims to follow Christ. I cannot minimize what scripture teaches here. Endurance, finishing strong in the faith, is synonymous with salvation. Examine your own heart. What do you long for, the things of God or the things of this world?

I have included the words to the hymn "Be Thou My Vision”. I have only recently learned this song. Even though it was written some 1200 years ago, it has become my favorite.


Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.
Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.
Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
Thou my soul’s Shelter, Thou my high Tower:
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.
Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.
High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heaven’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.

This one line really speaks to my soul, "Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art". Have we forsaken everything in this world and consider it as nothing--and embraced only Christ?
Is Christ the surpassing desire of your heart? Has this world and it ways faded from your view? Are you living for eternity? Do you hate your sin the way God hates sin? If you know Christ, you have been set free from sin and death to serve the risen Lord.
SRW

No comments: